About Derby Digs Cottage
The name “Digs” means lodgings and it is our vision to specialize in lodgings for mountain bikers and families. It is our aim to make your stay at Derby Digs Cottage as comfortable and memorable as possible.
Derby Digs Cottage accommodation is in the heart of Derby Tasmania and just 50m from the trailhead.
The address is 5 Cascade Dam Road and it is the closest property to the trailhead and shuttle service. Ride down the lawn, out the front gate and you’re on the trails! Within 300m walking distance of the main street, pubs, cafes and bike shop – everything is literally on your doorstep.
This recently renovated cottage is light and spacious with three bedrooms that sleep up to 8 people. Two single beds (or 1 queen) in the main bedroom; 1 comfortable double bunk and a single bed in bedroom 2 and 3.
Warm up at the crackling log wood fire and enjoy the open plan living which offers a relaxed and comfortable space for socializing. Magnificent views of the Ringarooma River and Derby Forest Reserve. Relax at the deck bar or on the comfy outdoor chairs. Watch the kids play in the generous garden.
Derby Digs Cottage has all the facilities and homely comforts to make your stay a very comfortable one. Being so close to the mountain reserve, you will be able to enjoy many native wildlife species.
The Cottage has 3 bedrooms and sleeps up to 8 comfortably
- Bedroom 1: 2 single beds (or 1 Queen)
- Bedroom 2: 1 Double bunk (single top and bottom) and 1 single bed
- Bedroom 3: 1 Double bunk (single top and bottom) and 1 single bed
- En-suite bathroom off bedroom with shower, vanity, and toilet
- Second bathroom with shower
- Heated towel rail
- Heating lamp
- Double vanity
- Separate toilet
- Linen and towels provided
- Fully equipped kitchen and dining area including pod coffee machine
- Wood fire heater with plenty of fire starters and wood on site
- Large flat screen TV and DVD player
- Collection of DVD’s, games and books
- Large wrap around deck with BBQ and outdoor setting
- Laundry with washer, dryer, and iron
- Derby Digs bike wash bay, storage, and repair shed
- Bike stand, tools, pump, degreaser, rags and brushes provided
Derby Digs Cottage has a huge garden overlooking the Ringarooma River
- Garden Fire pit and seating logs
- On-site secure parking for 6 cars and trailers
- No WIFI
Blue Derby Mountain Bike Tracks and Shuttles
The Blue Derby mountain bike tracks became a reality after a grant was provided by the government in February 2015. Stage 2 and 3 were completed in October 2015 and 2016. This world-class mountain bike track network includes 80km of awesome tracks.
Most noteworthy is the development of further tracks and infrastructure by the Dorset Council. Development will include family-friendly green trails and incorporate the beautiful lake which will provide a stunning family adventure. Derby Digs prides itself on being family-friendly property in the growing mountain bike community in Derby, Tasmania.
The tracks meander their way through Tasmania’s temperate rainforest and just spectacular!
Trail Network Details: https://www.ridebluederby.com.au/trails/
Trail Maps and Information: https://www.ridebluederby.com.au/trails-map/
Mountain Bike Shuttles:
At present Derby has two highly professional and knowledgeable shuttle services. We suggest a minimum of 3 days in Derby and 4 days or more is ideal. Feel free to contact us for track and shuttles advice. Check out Derby Digs Cottage rates to plan your trip. http://www.derbydigs.com.au/rates/
Contact: Richard or Dawn
Mobile: 0430 375 746 / 0437 323 607
Check out some of Damo’s ride suggestions
Vertigo MTB Contact: 0488 463 333
Vertigo MTB does uplift shuttles, bike hire and run the local bike shop.
Derby Digs Cottage offers cozy self-contained accommodation in Derby Tasmania at reasonable rates. The cottage is located just 50m from the trailhead on a generous piece of land overlooking the Ringarooma River. Three generous bedrooms comfortably sleep, 8 people.
Enjoy the magnificent views of the river and mountains and stunning nighttime array of stars.
Don’t miss out on the awesome Blue Derby and Blue Tier – book now.
- Please provide notice of cancellation or changes to your booking in writing via email to email@example.com.
- Guests may cancel a booking up to 30 days prior to the booking free of charge.
- Guests will be charged 50% of the booking fee if cancellation is within 30 days of arrival.
- No refund will be provided for cancellations made less than 7 days in advance of arrival or a no-show. The reservation may be rescheduled to another equivalent period subject to availability. Guests are advised to take out comprehensive travel insurance to cater for any unforeseen circumstances.
Please leave Derby Digs Cottage in the same condition you found it.
- Maximum number of guests is ideally 8
- The number of guests occupying Derby Digs Cottage must not exceed the number specified in the booking
- The person (guest) nominated on the booking form must occupy Derby Digs Cottage
- Derby Digs Cottage is not a party house. Please respect the neighbors.
- No Pets, sorry
- No undue noise and No drugs
- Absolutely no smoking, please
- Please don’t bring your shoes and bikes into the house
- Please wash and put away all kitchen utensils
- If you have used the BBQ please clean it and leave as you would expect to find it
- The town of Derby is not on mains sewage and all properties use septic tanks. PLEASE do not place any foreign objects into the toilet as this destroys the tank and how it functions
Located in temperate rainforest North-East Tasmania, the Blue Derby Mountain Bike trails encompass some of the most stunning landscapes in the state. Over 80km of green, blue and black trails, there’s challenges and fun for everyone. The Blue Tier Trail is an epic wilderness trail wrapping itself through the forest. A 60-minute shuttle gets you to the top of Blue Tier, then try Atlas and the looped trails of Derby and Black Stump. Read more about Mountain Bike Riding in Derby Tasmania.
Walking Trails – Blue Tier
Take a stroll through Derby Tasmania or try the easy Goblin Forest walk (20 min) and explore the history of the Blue Tier. Great for those that don’t have a lot of time but want to stretch their legs. Try the moderate Moon Valley Rim Loop walk (2 hours). The walk takes you to the summit of Mt. Poimena then along Moon Valley Rim and Blue Tier Battery before returning via the Sun Flats Road. Try this link for a range of walks:
The landscapes of Derby and North East Tasmania offer spectacular diversity of land forms and ecosystems and some of the best photo opportunities happen as you drive along. A photographers dream – the light is different in the North East—a kaleidoscope of sparkling blue oceans, white sandy beaches, rolling green pastures, rich red soils, ancient forest greens and the steely grey of precipitous mountains.
Paddlers can get a different perspective on the north-east’s stunning landscapes, by kayaking the Ringarooma River. Explore the beautiful 12-kilometer section between Derby and Moorina, which features grade two rapids through impressive, sculpted granite gorges.
Tasmania’s east coast also offers excellent sea kayaking. From St Helens, you’ll find unforgettable kayaking locations, including the stunning coastline of the Bay of Fires Conservation Area. Further south, Freycinet National Park offers some of the most spectacular paddling experiences on the island.
Prospecting In Derby Tasmania
Prospecting is one of those activities enjoyed by young and old, whether it is for gemstones, gold or even meteorite fragments. A pleasurable activity with family and friends, can also be quite a serious pursuit for others. Close by is Little Blue Lake. Once a mine hole, the lake now reflects a stunning aqua blue from the minerals at the bottom of the lake. Gem hunters should keep their eyes peeled for smokey quartz, topaz, and amethyst too. The Cascade River and Mutual River in the Derby Tasmania region are also popular gemstones fossicking areas.